1/19/2006

Hood Star Corrosion on a 300SD

Ever since I bought my Benz, I've been itching to buy a shiny new hood star. I'm not allowing myself to do that, though. Reason one - price. Those hood ornaments are useless and rediculously expensive. Reason two - uselessness. A Mercedes-Benz hood star serves no purpose. Besides, I can have oil changes and fuel filter changes covered for like eight months for the price of one OEM ornament. However, if you zoom in on this sweet cake, you'll see how corroded it is. And yet I'm content with it. You know why? Because
your Mercedes-Benz hood star will get stolen!
That's my reason three. It's only a matter of time before some asshole jacks your hood star. He's not going to be ginger about it, either. He'll tear into it, attempting to snap the spring. If that doesn't work, he'll jab it with a scredriver, which will slip a few times, destroying your hood paint and grille chrome. The solution? Find a grille plug. I know it's thirty bucks, but I think it's worth it. That way the next time the goddamn walmartians see your 300sd Benz, they'll just sigh and keep on going, instead of making an attempt to mutilate it.

5 Comments:

Blogger reckless rogue said...

That is a sad reality about the Benz. The much coveted Benz hood star must have the equivalent street value of a grocery cart full of scrap and/or bottles turned in for cash.

Every time I see a Benz with the unfortunate cap addition, I wince a little in pain about the loss of the mighty hood star. Why do cretins and street urchins desecrate our great cars?

I don't worry so much about possible theft of my star while at work (in the burbs) or safely parked in my garage at home, but when I venture into Baltimore or Washington, I sometimes wonder if my star (among other things!!) will be there when I return.

1/20/2006 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous 300SD said...

Maybe rap music has to do with the street value of the hood stars. It seems the word 'Benz' is in every hip hop song, especailly the ones dealing with picking up women.

Some people think that by driving my 300SD I'm "pimpin'" as opposed to what I'm really doing, which is driving a car. Get a life, assholes, it's a car, not a prop in a rap video.

1/25/2006 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger reckless rogue said...

Of course, at a sticker price around 40K when new, 300SD's were the cream of the crop. I guess any piece of the Benz would do for some people.

Anyway, last weekend I performed a diesel purge, new fuel filters, and oil change. Needless to say, she's running even better now!!

1/26/2006 10:42:00 AM  
Anonymous 300SD said...

'Mercedes' was the most mantioned brand name in 2003 Billboard charts (source) with 112 times including four songs by 50 Cent alone.

1/27/2006 07:47:00 AM  
Blogger Gunnar Heinrich said...

Get over it and buy a new star.

If you priced them you would find that they are cheap; $24.89 at www.autopartswarewhouse.com

I purchased the blue star that is housed on the actual grille from the Benz dealer. I think the price was under $10.

Replace the corroded emblem. There's nothing quite like driving behind the glint of a brilliant chrome star.


www.automobilesdeluxe.blogspot.com

1/29/2006 02:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home